Sony has today announced the commencement of its Android 8.0 Oreo rollout on its flagship Xperia XZ Premium handset, exclusive to Spark and Sony. In addition to native improvements, the update will introduce Sony specific feature updates as well bring the exciting world-first app 3D creation tool to a greater New Zealand audience.
New and enhanced features for this device include:
- 3D Creator – The update will initiate the acclaimed Sony 3D scanning feature on the Xperia XZ Premium devices in New Zealand. The app allows users to scan faces, heads, food and objects, rendering it as a 3D avatar or free-form image in less than 60 seconds, and makes it easy to share on social media or 3D print
- Enhanced Predictive Capture (smile) – An enhancement of the native feature, Predictive Capture automatically starts buffering images when it detects a smile (even before the shutter button is pressed), allowing users to pick the best photo from a selection of up to four shots
- Improved autofocus burst – The camera capability recognises, tracks and captures sequences of moving objects in sharp focus for blur-free action shots
- Boosted sound quality - Improvements in tuning made to the front-facing stereo speakers, as well as Qualcomm aptX HD audio support for high-quality sounds when using wireless headphones
- App Shortcuts - Re-imagined app shortcuts, which allow easy access to actions menus by long pressing the app icon
“We are delighted to offer the Android 8.0 Oreo update to our Xperia XZ Premium users, and bring our bespoke 3D Creator app to a greater New Zealand audience," explains John Featherstone, Managing Director, Sony Communications Oceania.
"Recent research conducted by Sony Mobile Communications revealed that, despite not having considerable experience with 3D Technology beyond that of a trip to the cinema, consumers have a real thirst for all things 3D and see it as the one of the most exciting technologies to impact their lives in the future, only behind Internet of Things (IoT). The research suggests consumers are eager to experience 3D capabilities, including 3D Scanning, 3D printing or using 3D avatars for gaming, VR and social sharing."
According to the research of 1,300 consumers*, despite 3D native capabilities not being vastly available, two in ten consumers would actually pay extra for a device with native 3D capabilities and another six, while not yet convinced, are not rejecting paying extra, providing an exciting opportunity for Sony to position themselves as leaders in the 3D space.
The software update allows Sony to continue to introduce technological advancements and remain at the forefront of innovation within the industry by working collaboratively with developers to bring the best immersive experiences to its customers.
"We look forward to an ongoing rollout of the update, and providing these new apps and improved mobile experiences to all our customers,” says John Featherstone.
Software rollouts are a phased process, and Xperia XZ Premium users are encouraged to check with their local operator and watch for a notification of availability. Additional Xperia handsets will receive the upgrade in due course.