I'll probably be buying a tablet this week, the Asus eee Transformer, if I like the look of it, otherwise it might be a while until I get a smaller pad or a phone. I'd probably work out how to use it, because like most people here i'm pretty technical, but quick start hints would be handy. I'm coming from a 2G iPod Touch, which I like fine, but the screen's too small and it's feeling pretty slow these days.
Specifically i'd like to know:
- How do you download apps?
- Do you use the stock web browser, or is there a better one? Is it free? Someone mentioned Dolphin HD.
- Is there a way to disable flash, but start it when I tap it? Like flashblock for the PC.
- How do you do ad blocking? On a PC I use a hosts file and the firefox adblock extension.
- Can anyone recommend a good rss reader? Ideally one that will give me grey text on a black background.
- Is it easy to set up synchronisation with google calendar, gmail, etc? I'm sure it is, given who makes Android. How about other email boxes, over imap? I quite like the common inbox on the iPod.
- Should I use a stock email application, or are there better ones?
- Are there good games for tablets around? I prefer thinking games, but two player games (on the same tab) could be interesting.
- Can/should you sync it with a PC, to back it up?
- Is there a good alarm clock app? Unit conversion? How about a password store? I use SplashData on my iPod, I have the iPod and PC versions and they sync with each other.
- What are widgits? Are there any good ones that I should know about?
I have no problem paying for good apps.
Plus, what do I need to know that I haven't asked?! Thanks for any replies or information :-)