I'm seriously considering getting a P500, but something nobody I've asked, including LG and Telecom, has been able to answer is whether I'll be able to connect the phone to my G5 iMac under 10.4.11 via USB and do anything useful, in particular, transfer files and perform software updates. (Bluetooth is right out apparently, even though both devices nominally support it: the channel would be there but there'd be nobody home at the LG end.)
Several things give me cause for concern about this:
- software updates, and even things like manual PDF downloads from the LG website first require downloading of a Windows-only application, suggesting a significant degree of Apple-aversion by LG (or perhaps an assumption that everybody has an Intel Mac, and everybody has purchased Windows for it);
- when I did find a copy of the manual, it makes reference only to connection to a PC, and the use of Windows-only software, reinforcing that view;
- I can't find anything on the net related to the use of this phone with any Apple computer, whether successful or not.
Anyone know what the deal is?
If I go ahead with this phone, should it be under the assumption that I will never be able to transfer files between it and my iMac* or update the phone software? (And Gingerbread is coming "real soon now"!)
Is there an fundamental conflict at some level between LG and Apple that is so well known by everyone except me that nobody bothers to mention it, so I'm busily flogging a dead horse while everyone is quietly laughing at my naivety?
And, just to head off some possible questions and suggestions:
- I don't have a PC, or ready access to one, and my iMac won't run Windows, nor would I ever want either.
- An iPhone is beyond my budget; and I'm really only looking at Android as an alternative.
- the other contending phone is the much cheaper Huawei X1: at $170, I don't mind so much if things don't work.
* = I'm seriously going to try accessing shared SMB volumes from whichever Android phone I get, so that may resolve the file transfer part of it, but not the software update part. Are things like FTP support available on the phone?