I have long felt the approach to gun control should look like this:
1) No automatic weapons or extended clips allowed for sale. No hollowpoint or other types of non-standard ammunition.
2) Gun Lockers are mandatory.
3) Inspections can randomly occur, but minimum twice a year. Refusal to permit an officer to inspect weapons/lockers should result in confiscation and destruction of weapons and a 10 Year Ban from owning a gun. Failure during inspection same thing.
4) No-one with a criminal record should be allowed to purchase a gun.
5) Anyone with a mental illness should not be allowed to purchase a gun.
6) No guns in a house with a person with a mental illness or Criminal record residing there.
7) Mandatory safety briefing twice a year.
8) Minimum of 2 hours every 2 months in a gun range. (Ensures guns are in a safe workable condition for the safety of owners as well as many other benefits).
9) Signed annual declaration by owner of how many guns, what types and confirmation requirements have been met as per above.
Logistically a nightmare, I understand. Lots of "civil liberties" being trampled on, but then 500+ people had theirs taken from them too. Heavy handed I agree.