Hi folks well the new macOS 10.15 Catalina has arrived.
This is a huge update to the macOS. It's biggest change is that 32 bit Apps are no longer supported, they just will not work. I have one tiny worry concerning this and that is my Brother MFC 9340 CDW printer and Garmin GPS has 32 bit components with no updates on their respective websites as of writing. So I will be holding off till next week to update plus as what just happened with iOS 13, there maybe a flurry of minor updates within 10 days.
Anyway here are some of the majors changes:
- iTunes has been split into 3 separate Apps - Music, Podcasts & TV
- iOS Device management is now being handling by Finder
- Accessing your Apple ID is now done through a new profile setting in System Preferences.
- A new Photos interface surfaces your best photos organised by day, month, or year.
- There's a new start page in Safari.
- Mail has new tools for muting email threads and blocking senders.
- The Reminders app has been overhauled.
- Security has been enhanced in macOS Catalina and Gatekeeper, Apple's security protocol, checks all of your apps for known security issues.
- New data protections require apps to get your permission before accessing your documents.
- A new Sidecar feature lets you turn your iPad into a secondary display for your Mac with just the click of a button, and you can even use your Apple Pencil to turn the iPad into a drawing tablet when using apps like Photoshop and Illustrator.
- With macOS Catalina, the Apple Watch can be used to approve security prompts for passwords, and Macs with a T2 chip now support Activation Lock, making them more secure.
- A new Find My app is available on the Mac for the first time, and it lets you track your devices even when they're offline, or in the case of notebooks, closed.
- Screen Time becomes available on the Mac.
- Support for Apple Arcade, Apple's new subscription-based gaming service.
Anyway for a complete list of the changes check this MacRumours article out: What's New in macOS Catalina
Good luck with the update.