So the map says all green so I check with the ISP's to see if their offering fibre yet for our house. Nope. So I decide, wait a fortnight, check again and if its not ready yet, contact Spark and Bigpipe.
Waited a fortnight, Still not available so I contact Spark and Bigpipe to see what up on their end. Spark first tells me to check the chorus map after telling the support staff that i have. Then tell me they haven't heard anything from chorus. Check with Bigpipe and same story, Check the chorus map, Then tries to sign us up to one of their ADSL plans for "While we wait" linking me the terms of service for the fibre install on chorus's website. We cant dive strait into this due to having multiple phone lines we cant lose and a number of other factors. Have to be methodical no matter how much I just want to dive head on into a fibre install. But to progress, we need to know if fibre is available or if we need to hold on for a bit.
What i am trying to say is, Is there a way to get a confirmation that fibre is available without being signed into an install? Our copper line is shot, Chorus has been coming over for years to patch it up and we do really want to move on to fibre but we are not getting that confirmation that we need.