Long time lurker, first time poster, signed up specifically as thought some of you intelligent folk could help here.
We have been with BigPipe since we moved into our house 4.5 years ago, never really had any significant issues until recently. Our VDSL has been dropping out intermittently with no pattern or consistency.
- Sometimes it drops out every few minutes, sometimes it goes hours without dropping out.
- Sometimes it takes a few minutes to come back online, sometimes it takes 30m to come back online.
- Sometimes resetting the router fixes the issue, sometimes the connection is still dead even after a reboot.
After complaining to BigPipe, they did a 24hr line test, confirmed multiple dropouts throughout. They sent Chorus who said they found a fault and repaired it, and yet the issue still remains. We got BigPipe to do a second line test and again they confirmed lots of drop outs, and relogged with Chorus. Chorus visited again, found no fault and have deemed any issues either internal wiring or modem issues.
- Our wiring is newish, was done when we connected for VDSL 4.5 years ago. The wall connection was redone by an electrician during our renovation a year ago.
- We are on a filter.
- I changed from the BigPipe provided modem to a Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk in December last year, no issues until now.
I just cannot fathom how internal wiring or modem issues would result in the above described symptoms.
The only other thing I can think of is Watercare dug up our berm three weeks ago to fix a leaking mains, this seems to coincide with our issues beginning so very easily potentially connected, however Chorus aren't interested as they could not find a fault. If it is an intermittent fault, is it possible that during Chorus testing the fault did not present and their line appears fine to them?
What do I do here? They want to charge me $200 (charged up front) for Chorus to come and review my internal wiring. I am going to test old modems over the next day or two to prove it is not a modem issue (unless somehow it is).
Would love any insight anyone might have! Nothing more infuriating than losing my Fortnite chicken dinner at #2 because my connection drops!