My dilemma, in quick bullets because I'd love any Geekzoner advice (neutral, pro-Apple, or pro-Microsoft) ...
- Have been a Windows Mobile user for years, happy enough with it but accept that design-wise you can't beat Apple (usually) and some ... no, many ... things are still really frustrating with the Microsoft attemps to go mobile. The next version is never quite as good as I hope.
- Current phone is a brilliant HTC Touch Pro 2 (WinMo 6.5). Really good phone and especially good for a power user with that hardware QWERTY keyboard. Terribly bulky though for a pocket for the same reason. And then there's WinMo's quirks (although HTC's interface tries hard to correct these).
- Currently on Vodafone and probably stuck there because I need a family plan for my Vodafone-only family. Not a fan of either Telecom (especially XT) or Vodafone - both networks are hardly world class and IMHO their customer service is awful. I would never have believed it years ago when Voda was the coolest and easily best telco to be with, but I think Voda are even worse than Telecom these days ... one of the worst in any industry in the country I reckon.
- But my wife's phone is dying and she's pressuring me to get a new phone so she can inherit the HTC, which she just loves (a good phone for her poor eyesight).
After years of resisting Apple, the recent news on a new iPhone OS 4 and the leaked new handset have me thinking seriously about defecting to the other side. The info on both the OS and the hardware have me thinking that Apples has at last addressed the biggest issues I've had with iPhone. (Multitasking at last - the biggie. And folders, gosh! And an upgrade to that awful iPhone default email. Finally better battery and camera. Etc ...)
- Is iPhone's on-screen QWERTY any good for longer and frequent emails? I've read lots of mixed reports. After a hardware keyboard I fear that this will be a big step backwards
- Is it true that iPhone on Vodafone sucks and that it's better on Telecom XT (no jokes please)? I can choose either with my company, but probably need to stick wtih Voda for the family plan.
- How do Apple people survive without external storage?! I just don't get that missing from the iPhone, still ... !
- How integrated with PC Outlook via Exchange is iPhone really - is it the same as WinMo integration or a retrograde step?
- Anything else I should be wary or aware of?
- Would I be making a big mistake and would this change require me to wear I Heart Apple t-shirts and react violently whenever anyone hints that Apple is not always perfect, that yes they're great designers but could possible, maybe, perhaps be somewhat control-freakish at times ... ?!
Thanks very much.