Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.

1556 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 39

Topic # 240717 21-Sep-2018 17:08
Send private message

Someone handed me a light socket they got from Bunnings I think.  4 areas to take up the wires.  One says L that is live?  One is green with a M next to it that is earth?  Then the other 2 are unlabelled.  So which is neutral and the loop? 




Not doing this myself.  Just wondering about it.  Will have someone over next week so curious. 





Create new topic
3342 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1339


  Reply # 2094680 21-Sep-2018 17:18
3 people support this post
Send private message

The 2 unlabeled ones are normally the connections to the lamp. The Live and Earth (M turned sideways) are the loop terminals. One of the lamp terminals is used as the neutral.

The loop terminals means that you don't need separate connector blocks when the Top Fed wiring system has been used.

Since you are getting in a sparky to do the work, far easier to get them to supply the fittings. And if it breaks later, they will repair it for free. Much easier than paying the sparky again to replace something from a hardware store that has broken.

Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Geekzone Live »

Our community of supporters help make Geekzone possible. Click the button below to join them.

Support Geezone on PressPatron

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.