Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Guest
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.




1555 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 39


Topic # 242544 2-Nov-2018 19:07
Send private message quote this post

Those that have been to China how have you navigated?  Google is blocked.  I hear mix stories that they foreign simcards are not blocked but some say they are also blocked.  Some say VPN.  Even if it works Google might not have all the info re: like public transportation.  Have any of you guys relied on Chinese apps and if so how have you used it if you could't read Chinese?  Or have you mainly gone back to a paper map and pretty much like stuck to subway stations and using your orientation skills?  

 

 

 

I had to use Baidu Maps for their street view.  Google doesn't support that.  


Cheers.  


Create new topic
5573 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 251

Trusted
Geekzone
Lifetime subscriber

  Reply # 2118712 2-Nov-2018 19:07
Send private message quote this post

Allow me to introduce you folks to our new travel community: TravelTalk NZ.

 

We hope to see you there!

 





I am the Geekzone Robot and I am here to help. I am from the Internet. I do not interact. Do not expect other replies from me.



36 posts

Geek
+1 received by user: 16


  Reply # 2118724 2-Nov-2018 20:11
Send private message quote this post

I'm with 2degrees.

 

Earlier in the year I was in Beijing and outer areas. I purchased 1GB data on their GlobeTrotter roaming pack. It worked 75% of the time.. Google Maps and Translate worked.. The other 25% it was like the outside world didn't exist.

 

I would still consider it a success.. just not 100%.

 

Daniel


 
 
 
 


epr

158 posts

Master Geek
+1 received by user: 50


  Reply # 2118731 2-Nov-2018 20:28
Send private message quote this post

When I was there google.com was blocked but not .co.nz or .co.uk etc this was about 6 years ago or so so they may be blocking all these now but my friend who lived there for 6 months had good results with athe VPN service express vpn.
Good luck.

7587 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 4003


  Reply # 2119367 4-Nov-2018 11:38
Send private message quote this post

I've got no desire to navigate through China, but I note that China maps for my offline GPS app (Sygic) are available for a price. (ATM that's showing as US$18.99 for full world maps/lifetime license - special price reduced from US$125).  I'm not sure if that's a "special" limited to existing license holders.

 

I D/L the android version of the app quite a few years ago (3 phones ago IIRC) for about $20 (special at the time) including nz/aus maps.  I've migrated to Google maps as data cost has become irrelevant either locally or with an Aus sim. The Sygic maps are pretty good, and update regularly (large file sizes though which used to be an issue - but not so much now that storage space on phones is better).  But in Aus, Google maps show some unmarked roads / fire trials that I go on, the Sygic/TomTom maps show nothing.  Caused us some bother when we missed a side trail in the bush in the middle of the night, but for marked road use, it seems to work perfectly.  


Create new topic



Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:



Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.



Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.