I come seeking the wisdom of those who have gone before me!
I had an idea of creating a NAS for my network, then I came across these HTPC forums and thought "let's also make it a HTPC".
Now I have pretty low demands, currently (standard tele w/Sky Digital), but I harbour thoughts of upgrading my video someday to large LCD/plasma HD, etc. No gaming, etc. I would like to record to HDD (get rid of the damn VCR) with the ability to watch something else in the meantime, and get Freeview, if possible.
Having read/reread several very informative threads about HTPC here I have come to the following conclusions:
1) I am totally confused about what I need, but;
2) I cannot directly feed my Sky (not MySky) signal into a PC tuner because I have a blue NZ17xx card;
3) I could run my Sky output into a Hauppauge-HVR-xxx (I don't know which would be best);
4) I could manage that card with GB-PVR and direct the output to a MediaMVP which would be connected to my tele;
5) I could also view said output from other platforms on my network using GB-PVR in client mode;
6) I would use GB-PVR to set up my recording sessions using an EPG;
7) This whole setup would be incompatible with a NAS based on FreeNAS.
How far off the mark am I and what could/should I do at this point to give me some upward mobility down the road?
Thanks for your help and patience!