Before I get started here I want to make a couple of things clear:
1) This is NOT a ISP bashing, poor speed complaint thread
2) This is NOT an invitation for you to post about how much your ISP sucks because your internet is so slow
We have been with Xnet for about a year now, and as a whole I am very very happy with what they provide. I understand the issues surrounding (the lack of) international bandwith and such, however over the past week or so our DSL connection with Xnet has been suffering some very annoying issues.
Basically about every couple of hours of use we need to reboot the modem in order to see any international site. New Zealand sites work super, nice and fast and no issues loading them. International has very suddenly gotten very slow. Despite past threads with users complaining of very slow speeds, I have not noticed them to any great extent myself. Yes sure it was slow, but not to the point where it was causing major problems.
The issue here is that if I am browing the net (Mix of national and international sites), I seem to randomly and frequently loose basically all international www connectivity [Read web pages]). NZ hosted web pages work fine, VFX works fine, IRC works fine, Email works fine. If I reboot the modem, it improves, for a wee while.
A speed test I just did to LA gave me just under 2Mbits, nice. However, I have been trying to download some Blackberry Software (212 megs worth) from blackberry.com (Over HTTP) and it is currently going at 21.5KB/s, ouch.
I have tested this from 3 different machines here, all with exactly the same results, including plugging them directly into the modem to rule out any other equiptment (Routers, IP phones etc) being a factor, no difference.
My conclusing is that it could be one of three things
1) The modem is faulty. However I find this unlikely as it is not that old, and its only international web that seems to be effected.
2) There is a fault on my line or with my connection to Xnet causing problems.
3) There is a broader issue at Xnet causing the problem.
The point of this thread is to get an idea if any other Xnet users have experienced any simmilar issues or symptoms, so that if I go to Xnet support for help, I am in a better position to be able to help them diagnose the problem.
Feedback is apprecaited.