For the last few months my partner and I have been searching for our first home. Throughout the process we have visited up to 5-6 open homes a day and got a fairly good idea of the market.
At the back of my mind I haven't been able to forget the really terrible houses that we've seen and the prices that were being asked. From the houses that reeked of cat urine that my partner saw (complete with 3 Siamese cats in the spare bedroom) to the "minor work needed" that was missing the ceiling and floors in the lounge (to be fair due to EQ damage but the owner had priced it at least 50k above the market).
One place we viewed was a lovely Lockwood home that had obliviously been built on a spare bit of land in front of a house (leasehold to boot). No outside land for the house, no fences, one parking space in the other houses driveway and several Holden's sitting in pieces on the lawn (complete with resident stereo-typical bogan drinking a woodie and hanging out of a bonnet at 12:30 on a Sunday!).
Other terrible properties included:
- Unkempt gardeners, interiors and washing strewn everywhere ("Nothing to do but move in!" and a lot of cleaning...)
- Psychotic neighbours dog blocking the shared driveway so you couldn't even get to the house
- A home that was part way through a "re-furb" ("just look at the potential" that was missing parts of walls and a bathroom)
- A "big modern courtyard" as a feature that turned out to be no bigger than your average laundry.
- A 60sqm kitset on a subdivided section with little outside space, RV $195 for sale a $260! In the area and current market that's about $60,000 over the top.
Over time we've become pretty good at filtering the agent 'speak' and seeing past the well staged photos but it still amazes me at what some people are prepared to ask and how little they are prepared to do in order to sell their house.
Thankfully the weekend chore appears to be over, all going to plan we move into our dream home next month.
Would be interested in what things others have seen during their home buying experiences? And if there are any current or former agents on here it would be great to get your input on troublesome vendors.