My current PC is on it's last legs, having trucked along for 5 years now and serving me pretty well in watching media and web browsing. However before it dies I want to build a replacement, and I want to build something that will handle current and upcoming releases (such as Planetside 2 and Battlefield 4) well.
After doing a lot of searching and reading around the interweb, I have come up with the following:
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cooler 120mm - 49.00
- ASrock Z77-Extreme6 Motherboard - 294.99
- 2x8GB G.SKILL Ares DDR3 1600Mhz RAM - 179.00
- i7 3770k Ivy Bridge Unlocked Quad Core, HT, 3.5Ghz LGA1155 - 395.00
- Samsung 120GB 840 Series Solid Sate Drive - 129.00
- 750W Antec EarthWatts Green ATX Power Supply - 165.04
- NZXT Phantom 410 Full Tower - 221.20
- ASUS Blu-Ray Drive - 129.61
- EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card - 899.00
- Windows 7 Home Premium - 149.00
Which comes to a total of $2,600.00 (or there abouts). I'd really like to get this at or below $2k, but I need some help and advice.
- I realise the processor may be too top end, if there's another i7 or high-end i5 that is good for gaming that might do the trick.
- Is 16GB overkill? Should I dial it back to one stick of 8?
- I'm not wild about the NZXT tower - any others that have good airflow and preferably cable management?
- This only has the 120GB SSD for storage, I do have a 2TB external drive for tv shows, music and movies, so will keep using that. Sound feasible?
- The video card, so many possibilities, so many reasons to buy or not to buy. This is the most expensive part by a long way, and yet I want something very powerful, that goes well with the CPU - any suggestions?
As always, look forward to your responses and appreciate your advice.