*** BEFORE YOU TRY THIS YOURSELF READ THE FORUMS IN THE LINKS BELOW THOROUGHLY ***
Details on the what are here ... (you'll need to sign up to dowload anything)
The how is a little trickier as our phones don't seem to accept the standard HardSPL instructions posted in this article.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=550620 but if you jump down to page 11 and follow these instructions, they worked for me.
- Removed SIM and SD card
- Connected, established a sync connection w/ActiveSync
- In JockyW's folder; open "SSPL"
- Run SSPL.bat
- If you have a firewall or anti-rootkit running ie. COMODO Internet Security, disable those and the sandbox if your security software has one
- Follow commands in command prompt
- Pop up should show on your device's screen
- The "OK" option is outside of the screen's viewable area, press the trackball or press enter.
- The phone's screen will shut off but the keyboard will remain lit
- DO NOT DISCONNECT
- LEAVE ACTIVESYNC ALONE
- Return to the JockyW folder
- Run the ROMUpdateUtility
The great thing about the HardSPL is I now have a Bootloader menu to unbrick my phone back to say the stock ROM if I stuff up anything.
There's a few tweaks etc to get the phone working and I pulled all the settings of the iphonenewzealand site to make sure I got them right.
Everything is working ... FASTER ... and so far (it's only been 12 hours or so) no issues. I'll document the process this weekend when I repeat it so you can have a try (AT YOUR OWN RISK) :)