Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.

54 posts

Master Geek
+1 received by user: 12

Topic # 54888 22-Dec-2009 14:34
Send private message

Hi everyone,

In our new home I'll be running cat6 through the walls. The idea is for universal wired net access, home-sensor data transmission to a server (temp, wind etc) and media access from room to room (actually just lounge and main bedroom).

For the latter, basically just movies (avi, mpeg etc) would be hosted on a central PC, and I pretty much need something as basic as being able to switch to a specific aux channel on the TV like yo umight to view DVDs or Freeview, connect to the PC server and either "bring up" its desktop and interact with it remotely via the TV or a secondary device, or query a simple (custom) web-interface hosted on the media server that parses and displays all the movies in a specific directory. Nothing too flash.

I've seen several "KVM extender" devices, as sender/receiver setups, able to convey KVM signals to and from the central media server over UTP. but no mention is made of audio. How do you send audio down ethernet cable?

Any pointers/suggestions welcome :-)

Thanks a lot,

Create new topic
21447 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 4354


  Reply # 284699 22-Dec-2009 20:34
Send private message

They typically do not send audio at all as they are made for server setups where you seldom need to get into them and its only to fix up things like disabling the wrong network interface etc...

You could get some HDMI over cat-5 devices and that will take audio if you have that sorted on the PC to send it.

Sadly nothing seems to let you use the return path on HDMI as a keyboard and mouse interface back to the PC.


54 posts

Master Geek
+1 received by user: 12

  Reply # 284728 22-Dec-2009 22:08
Send private message

@richms - thanks for that.

I see what you're saying, perhaps there might be a solution as you say in an HDMI capable PC to send signal over cat6 as vid+audio and use a one-way KVM sender/extender to send the control over cat6 back to the PC.

I'll check it out.

I appreciate the info - if anything else springs to mind, I'm all ears :-)


3233 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 631


  Reply # 285170 25-Dec-2009 20:32
Send private message

HDMI over cat5 + usb over cat5 extenders maybe?

Ray Taylor
Taylor Broadband (rural hawkes bay)

There is no place like localhost
For my general guide to extending your wireless network Click Here

Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.