Long time no post!
I have an issue that has bothered me for weeks now and no matter how much I try I cannot resolve. The biggest issue is my lack of knowledge on the subject so I have decided to get some help from those who know.
The DNS service keeps dropping with the only resolution being to restart the Router. When it happens if I am logged into a specific site I can generally browse around it, try logging into a fresh site and nothing. Things like Skype and other servcies like this are not affected, purely browsing (which is why I feel it is DNS specific problem).
This problem occurs randomly and can occur, it seems, whether I am using the laptop, the iphone or the desktop through the wireless router, which makes me believe that the failure is at router end.
Desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate with Auto settings for IP setup
Laptop running Windows XP professional with Auto settings for IP setup
iPhone - running as it should.
Router - D-Link DSL-G604T/TX V.A3
Firmware Version V1.00B04.TX
DNS server running as "Use AutoDiscovered DNS Server Only"
Wireless is running with SSID Broadcasting disabled and using WPA-PSK security
WAN is PPPoA VC-Mux with an MRU of 1492 bytes
ATM is Pvc0 VPI 0 VCI 100 Virtual Circuit Enabled
DHCP is set to Server with a lease time of 999999 seconds
Web browser: Google Chrome and until I rid it from my system - Internet Explorer 8
From my Windows 7 Event log: (this is from a fresh install of Windows 7 last night on a brand new drive)
There are two specific types of entry that occur often(but are not exactly the same each time):
The IP address lease 10.1.1.3 for the Network Card with network address 0x001D7D98581D has been denied by the DHCP server 10.1.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).( I have since changed the lease time to 999999). (this entry occured twice corresponding to the two times I had to reset my router but am unsure if the entry occured prior to the reboot or after)
Name resolution for the name www.microsoft.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.
So far this morning the connection has been stable and there are no event logs so far.
I think that about covers what you are most likely to ask me - now for some thoughts please.
p.s. I have just changed my DNS options at router to 'Use User Discovered DNS Server only" and set them to my ISP's (clear) DNS server 220.127.116.11 as preferred and 18.104.22.168 as alternate.