Hi, This post could be quite long as I have tried all kinds of things to no avail. Hopefully someone can help.

I have a max/128k broadband connection with Orcon. The connection is shared through a U.S. Robotics USR9108 router (both aspects of which I am very happy with).

There are two internet connections to the router. The first and main one is my PC which I built and connects to the router via ethernet through the PC's on board NIC on my Gigabyte 965P-DS3 mobo (Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller). The second is a my wife's new laptop which is connected via wireless.

After setting up the wifes laptop I wanted to see the performance hit through using wireless. So I used the Consumer NZ speed test site to check out the speed (http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz). I had run this a few times on my PC and knew the speed I was getting on the PC was a transfer rate of 260.6 KB/sec. I was very surprised when I was getting a result which was almost double the speed I was getting on my PC (transfer rate of 434.2 KB/sec). I checked it on a number of other speed test sites and the same pattern happened on all of the sites.

Initally I thought it was the router's ethernet connection, so I pluged the laptop into the router directly via ethernet and re-ran the speed tests. The laptop was still amazingly fast - much faster than the PC. This narrowed it down to the PC and not the router. I then thought it must be the NIC on the mobo so I purchased a new gigabit NIC off pricespy and installed it. After installing the new NIC, the speed tests for the PC using the new NIC were exactly the same than the existing onboard one - still half the speed that the laptop wireless connection is getting.

I thought Windows might be stuffed up and corrupted some settings so I reloaded a 'clean' image of my system partition and tried again - nope still half speed. At my wits end, I ended up re-installing windows from scratch to see if my image was also corrupted - nope still half speed.

So this is where im at - a bit frustrated but none the wiser. Hopefully someone will have an idea of what could be the problem, if anyone wants any more details reply here and I will get you the details ASAP.

Thanks

wownerf