So, I decided to try out being on account after many years of prepay. There were two things that made me hesitate about going on account: 1) lack of flexibility and 2) dealing with account issues
I was unfortunately right about these issues - I probably called Slingshot about three times within that first week of getting connected. Some of it was probably initial set-up questions though, but others were regarding activation/add-ons issues.
+ The CSRs I spoke to were nice and informative (barring one, who sounded half asleep and impatient to get off the phone)
+ I was given some credit after it turned out they hadn't activated my free minutes/texts
+ The porting process went smoothly, within the 4 business hours they stated
+ The sim card arrived within the time frame they gave me
+ Length of contract isn't too long; either 6 or 12 months (or 24 months with a free phone) depending on which plan
+ One bill, since I have broadband with them too
- My free minutes/texts weren't activated when I initially joined, even though I was told I would have them
- Not knowing my free minutes/texts weren't activated until at least two days after I was connected, and only because I called in after seeing I was being charged for the free minutes on Visibill
- The 48 hour Visibill delay
- Not having access to add-ons immediately - they were only able to be processed on the next billing month - so I had to be charged on a casual basis until then
- That one CSR - the others were nice and more than made up for that - but I don't think it leads to a good impression since this was the next day after I joined
So. All in all, not too bad an experience, but not an impressive one either. My experience with broadband went much smoother, so I'm leaning towards mobile being a new product with new processes/systems needing a bit of time to tweak.
I did find the 48 hour delay in viewing mobile usage and the add-on waiting to be a bit frustrating after having been on prepay, where they were available within 5 minutes. Will have to wait and see what kind of improvements are made, and whether some of the inflexibility of add-ons will continue being an issue for me. However, the calling rates look good, and I'll be paying for my mobile + broadband together and don't need to remind myself to top up. Will see what happens after my contract ends...