Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.

814 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 326

Topic # 188947 10-Dec-2015 19:54
Send private message

I'm an ancient ex-builder. So 'ex' that I remember stuff like wooden windows, t&g flooring, wallpaper (gasp!) and fibrous plaster ceilings. In those days, I bought most of my stuff from H.C.Kitchen, a great outfit to deal with. However, they sold out to Fletchers and voila, became Placemakers. Bad move from the customers' point of view, IMHO. A family firm replaced by a faceless corporation.

But I digress. I'm trying to remember the name of a product that predated MDF by a zillion years or so. The base material was 3\4" (18mm) finger-jointed pine material and came in sheets of 600mm? 900mm? 1200? wide by various lengths.

A typical chippie of that era would probably use it when he\she (tho not many 'she-people' were in the trade in those days) wanted to build a cupboard or similar, and when they wanted a wide panel, would have had no other option than to glue 200mm or 300mm boards together to get the same result.  

I think this stuff was called 'Bondwood'.

But what I'm desperately trying to remember was what its successor was called, and this was 'Bondwood' with a layer of hardboard (and if you don't know what THAT was, read no further) on each side. Probably 1/8th inch (or 3mm in digi-speak). So you got a layer of finger-jointed pine boards covered by a skin of hardboard.

I've lost track of how many houses I outfitted with kitchen cupboards that I built from this stuff, but it was a lot. It was pretty much par for the course in those days: build the house then outfit the kitchen.

But not enough, maybe, so that I can recall the name of this product.

So, any elderly chippie or builder able to comment? What was this product called? Bondwood with a layer of hardboard on each side?

Thanks for reading :-)

Create new topic
393 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 49


  Reply # 1449391 12-Dec-2015 21:40
Send private message

Spoke to my father a 1950's chippy. He thought it was still called bondboard.

But he said it came in two flavours.
One covered by hardboard as you said but he said they alternatively covered it with two-ply that could be stained to look like solid wood

44 posts

+1 received by user: 10

  Reply # 1449733 13-Dec-2015 17:38
Send private message

I am almost as old, and remember a product called coreboard.  I think that it had a core of 20mm thick wood - sometimes solid and sometimes 'hit and miss' or even just a frame, with thin hardboard glued to each face.  It was used in joinery and also cupboard doors.


786 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 190

  Reply # 1449753 13-Dec-2015 18:24
Send private message

My dad (flooring contractor) is saying it might have been called bison board

814 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 326

  Reply # 1449821 13-Dec-2015 20:35
Send private message

Thanks for your response, guys.

D1023319, your Dad was close. I think the base material was definitely 'bondwood': 18mm finger-jointed pine board material that we used for a lot of joinery work. And he's right - the sheathed version came in two flavors. One was covered in hardboard and the other in a thin ply, or sometimes veneer, that could be stained to look like solid wood.

Wilko: I think the cigar is yours. 'Coreboard', that's what the hardboard sheathed bondwood was called. Well done!

Blackjack17: I think Bison Board was a much later product. 1970's? 1980's? It was a thin version (1\4"? 3\8") of 'particle board' which was a fairly coarse grained 'chip board'. It later became MDF or medium density fibre board.

Much appreciate your input, guys :-)

Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.