Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Guest
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.




Mad Scientist
20461 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 2790

Trusted
Lifetime subscriber

# 250620 19-May-2019 10:27
Send private message quote this post

First all the American polls showed victory for Clinton, that was wrong.


Then the Australian polls showed landslide victory for Shorten, that's also wrong.


Can this be called that stats are not working! (or whoever doing stats are not doing it right)





Swype on iOS is detrimental to accurate typing. Apologies in advance.


Create new topic
16971 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 3371

Trusted

  # 2240732 19-May-2019 10:33
Send private message quote this post

No idea. I dont know how they decide who will be in a poll. If a demographic represented say 10% of the country, do they ensure 10% of the poll is them? Do they do the same with geographical areas? Urban vs rural? What about areas or demographics that are facing a negative issue in life? To get a nice cross section the poll would need to be a few thousand I would suggest, but they seem much lower. Or do they focus on key electorates, the election decking ones, and just grab 400 people in each, at random?


8339 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 4597


  # 2240737 19-May-2019 10:47
One person supports this post
Send private message quote this post

Shouldn't this have been posted in the politics forum?

If I was to posit a guess, I'd say that when asked *without consequence* for what they say, people don't like to support anti-environment and anti-liberal policies.
When it comes to the crunch - in the polling booth - they'll vote entirely of perceived short-term self-interest.
It's pretty clear from the way we're headed that democracy isn't going to deliver action on the environment any time soon.

 
 
 
 




Mad Scientist
20461 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 2790

Trusted
Lifetime subscriber

  # 2240741 19-May-2019 10:51
Send private message quote this post

I have no idea about Australian politics and I am not starting a political debate.

 

But the fact that polls have predicted major victories and then it was a major victory but to the other party.





Swype on iOS is detrimental to accurate typing. Apologies in advance.


16971 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 3371

Trusted

  # 2240743 19-May-2019 10:57
Send private message quote this post

Batman:

 

I have no idea about Australian politics and I am not starting a political debate.

 

But the fact that polls have predicted major victories and then it was a major victory but to the other party.

 

 

Some bookmakers paid out early, and lost that money, thats how clear the polls were


22 posts

Geek
+1 received by user: 11


  # 2240745 19-May-2019 10:59
Send private message quote this post

An analyst on the ABC summed up the problem fairly well late last night.  The polling companies use the electoral rolls matched up to phone books to find people to survey, but as (in Australia at least) mobile phones become more common, and more and more people give up landlines, this method of finding people to survey is becoming less and less representative of the population as a whole (and probably skewed in favour of the left side of politics).

 

I don't know what the solution is, or even if there is a solution, because there isn't one method of communication that can be used to reach the public equally anymore.

 

What was a bit concerning to see was that with reasonable consistency, there was a swing to Labor in the Labor-held seats, but a swing to the Coalition in the Coalition-held seats, suggesting that the Australian public, much like the United States, are becoming more polarised in their views.




Mad Scientist
20461 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 2790

Trusted
Lifetime subscriber

  # 2240746 19-May-2019 11:04
One person supports this post
Send private message quote this post

They used landline to survey! Lol





Swype on iOS is detrimental to accurate typing. Apologies in advance.


8339 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 4597


  # 2240749 19-May-2019 11:08
Send private message quote this post

There are a couple of significant differences.

 

One poll (rasmussen) got it right in the US. Reason was that they corrected for eligible voters not likely to vote. The campaigns being run on social media targeted those voters by driving the wedge - "the Democrats betrayed you by rejecting Bernie - so protest by not voting".

 

At this time, I think the Dems are capable of losing again for exactly the same reason - and lose to the most unpopular  president of all time.

 

Difference #1 in Aus politics, voting is compulsory, so encouraging non-voting isn't going to work. Difference #2, Morrison has always been more popular than Shorten leading up to the election.

 

 

 

 


 
 
 
 


8339 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 4597


  # 2240755 19-May-2019 11:11
Send private message quote this post

Not sure how or why a landline survey should show left bias. It should be the other way around, with older more conservative voters more likely to still have landlines.


4960 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 2471

Trusted
Subscriber

  # 2240756 19-May-2019 11:12
One person supports this post
Send private message quote this post

The thing about 'probability' is that 'unlikely' is not the same as 'impossible'. A 90% chance of winning is a 10% chance of losing. Anyone who ever played X-COM 2 knows what I mean.

 

 

 





iPad Pro 11" + iPhone XS + 2degrees 4tw!

 

These comments are my own and do not represent the opinions of 2degrees.


gzt

10815 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1813


  # 2240799 19-May-2019 14:11
Send private message quote this post

Batman: Can this be called that stats are not working! (or whoever doing stats are not doing it right)

Many new factors for pollsters to deal with. Mobile phones. Mobile internet. Most of them do a bad job with that for some reason. Then add Facebook and things like that.

Random things on Facebook can really swing things around and it is entirely opaque to pollsters. There are way around that they haven't even figured out mobile yet.

Another big factor is most polls are paid for by someone with a particular purpose in mind and then released or not on their say so.

gzt

10815 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1813


  # 2248060 29-May-2019 22:32
Send private message quote this post

Morrison's Facebook and online media campaign:

Newsroom: A New Zealand agency founded by two former "Young Nats" harnessed the power of Facebook and Instagram to help the Liberals win Australia's "unwinnable election".

A low-profile Kiwi digital and creative agency was in the thick of the 'miracle', come-from-behind campaign that saw Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison and his Liberal Party re-elected.

Topham Guerin, established just three years ago, helped the Liberals outgun Bill Shorten's Labor campaign with high octane digital messaging, deploying videos and ads around the clock.


Create new topic



Twitter and LinkedIn »



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:





News »

Dunedin selects Telensa to deliver smart street lighting for 15,000 LEDs
Posted 18-Jul-2019 10:21


Sprint announces a connected wallet card with built-in IoT support
Posted 18-Jul-2019 08:36


Educational tool developed at Otago makes international launch
Posted 17-Jul-2019 21:57


Symantec introduces cloud access security solution
Posted 17-Jul-2019 21:48


New Zealand government unveils new digital service to make business easier
Posted 16-Jul-2019 17:35


Scientists unveil image of quantum entanglement
Posted 13-Jul-2019 06:00


Hackers to be challenged at University of Waikato
Posted 12-Jul-2019 21:34


OPPO Reno Z now available in New Zealand
Posted 12-Jul-2019 21:28


Sony introduces WF-1000XM3 wireless headphones with noise cancellation
Posted 8-Jul-2019 16:56


Xero announces new smarter tools, push into the North American market
Posted 19-Jun-2019 17:20


New report by Unisys shows New Zealanders want action by social platform companies and police to monitor social media sites
Posted 19-Jun-2019 17:09


ASB adds Google Pay option to contactless payments
Posted 19-Jun-2019 17:05


New Zealand PC Market declines on the back of high channel inventory, IDC reports
Posted 18-Jun-2019 17:35


Air New Zealand uses drones to inspect aircraft
Posted 17-Jun-2019 15:39


TCL Electronics launches its first-ever 8K TV
Posted 17-Jun-2019 15:18



Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.


Support Geekzone »

Our community of supporters help make Geekzone possible. Click the button below to join them.

Support Geezone on PressPatron



Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.