Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.

4 posts

Wannabe Geek

Topic # 119669 9-Jun-2013 23:46
Send private message

Hi, I'm in a non Freeview HD part of Wellington and wouldn't mind getting HD on my telly. I'm a Voda/Telstra cable internet customer but the wiring to my house is a bit different and so I think TV may not be possible.

Basically the telstra/voda cable goes to my garage where my cable modem is, then out of the modem comes the cat 5 that goes up to my house underground (a couple of flights of stairs higher up the hill), as well as the telstra/voda phone lines (I have space for two) So three cat 5/phone connections all up.

So the co-axial cable doesnt actually reach my house at all.

Am I correct to think I wouldn't be able to get the telstra cable tv? Because that would require co-ax to the house. There is no way of getting the TV signal to the house via cat 5 cable is there?


Create new topic
3420 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 407


  Reply # 833305 10-Jun-2013 00:03
Send private message

You can do it by running multiple cat5e/cat6 cables and running HDMI and IR over them and leave the decoder near the coax

1312 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 171

  Reply # 833317 10-Jun-2013 01:33
Send private message

they could extend the coaxial cable to wherever it needs to go?


27250 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 6684

Biddle Corp
Lifetime subscriber

  Reply # 833328 10-Jun-2013 06:18
Send private message

Vodafone will simply install new coax to the STB/TV as part of the install.

You could request they install the STB at that location, but you'll then need to find a way to run the video over cat5e which won't be cheap.

129 posts

Master Geek
+1 received by user: 16


  Reply # 834542 12-Jun-2013 00:41
Send private message


if the house has ever been connected to a ex-TCL landline, then it's quite probable that the drop from the pole has a hybrid phone pair/Coax cable, that 'may' terminate somewhere up the hill.
As far as trying to put together something hinky to 'convert' 75 ohm HFC Coax to 120 ohm twisted pair, that would cause reflection back into the cable network and may impair the leg of the HFC network or possibly even the entire node.  Not to mention things like badly built cheap power packs injecting noise into the cable network.

So, respectfully, please don't try that as you may impact others, not just yourself.
Please give the callcentre a call and try talking to someone about it. 

If you don't get any joy, please PM one of the VF people here (or me) and we should be able to get you talking to someone who can advise what can be done.

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." Donald Porter – British Airways

The views expressed here are my own and are not reflective of other organisms or organisations.

2 posts

Wannabe Geek

  Reply # 834549 12-Jun-2013 05:58
Send private message

Depending on the Cat5e cable length it may be feasible to use a pair of CATV Baluns like the MuxLab 500302 or 500306 to drive the terrestrial RF signal to a set-top tuner.  If additonal RF amplification is needed, then a 35db tilt/gain amplifier could be inserted at the input of the source balun.  Recommendation:  Channel Vision CVT-40BID.

Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.