I first signed up to Xnet Fusion in March. With my hardwares I followed recommendations from the certified hardare page and advices from helping forum members. I picked Linksys WRP400 as my router for to its high-end and robust reputation, and Linksys AM300 for its fair reliability and half-bridge ability.
On purchase I have updated the AM300 and WRP400 to their latest firmwares (v 1.19.04 and v 1.00.05 respectively). From the beginning I setup AM300 to run on half-bridge mode (subnet mask 255.255.255.0), running with DHCP. The AM300 connects to the WRP400, which is set to run on Automatic Configuration DHCP. Soon after connecting the WRP400 for the 1st time, the Voice
provisioning proceeded fine and I was able to use my phone connected to the WRP400 (VoIP).
My phone usage tends to be about 30% local calls and 70% international calls. There are quite a few issues that have been plaguing my VFX service since the beginning. I have phoned Support to report my problems and a support staff member has been actively following up with my problems. We've had constructive email exchanges with my sending of the time-of-fault logs and his screenshots of suggested changes, but since 1st of June I haven't heard anything back to my emails sent. I'm not sure if he has been away, or if he's held up waiting for further instructions from Operations Support (Steven) who had been looking at the logs from their end. I would love to hear from the Xnet team if there has been any progress since our recent correspondence, as I am still experiencing those same problems on my VFX service.
Looking back for records of the ticket number, I found a # 100224 written down, I hope that is the right one, if not I can email you with my account details.
The problems I have experiencing can be summerised into 3 categories, I'm listing them in order of impact / urgence:
1) Disconnection happening within 1 hour, but most frequently occuring in the 10 minute and 30 minute points of each phone call. This applies to both incoming and outgoing calls.
2) Uncertainty in connecting to international destination numbers ("the number you've dialled is not in service"), success requires
3) Loss of outgoing and incoming calling service (happened only twice since commencement my VFX provisioning, both times
resolved by unplugging/replugging my router WRP400 router), in more detail:
a) Outgoing call will begin normally with a dial tone, but no connecting tone will be heard after destination number is dialled. I
have done a test by calling my mobile phone, and found that the call actually goes through, i.e. the mobile phone rings, but when answered there no voices that can be heard coming from either side).
b) Incoming call: The calling party will hear a message akin to "the party you're trying to reach is not available" (reported by a friend who'd tried to reach me while experiencing problem (3).
From Steven Malls' side it appears that (1) is an issue with some port traffics behaving funny and not forwarding properly. On suggestions of the helping staff, I borrowed a D-Link modem to try as a temporarily substitution with the AM300. I tried that for a week, while not having made long phone calls to stress-test the line stability in that week, I have only had 1 disconnected call during that period. I reported my findings to the support staff and I have since plugged my AM300 back online, this time
I have decided to try running in normal mode (as opposed to half-bridge mode). Surprisingly calls began dropping more frequently, and more precisely right at the 10 minute mark every time, hence enabling normal mode seem to have made the problem much worse.
Since last night I re-enabled half-bridge mode. I have also changed the Client Lease Time on the AM300 from the original 30 minutes, to 2 hours just for a change. The 1st phone call since the change was this earling morning at 2am from Korea, it was disconnected/terminated at the 10:40 minute mark of the call. I re-initiated the call by calling back to Korea but on this outgoing call I purposely talked longer to test the line, it was able to keep the connection over 1 hour quite unusually. I suspect this
was a one-off as I have not made any other changes to my AM300 settings (apart from the change in Client Lease Time). Prior to
contacting technical support I have also had the occasional phone calls lasting beyond 30 minutes (albeit quite rarely). I will continue to update you with the conditions of my phone call.
I still have faith with Xnet and WorldXChange, I believe it is a problem that can be tackled with patience and hence my staying with Xnet till now despite those problems. Soon after my Fusion was setup I was really keen to arrange the same setup for my parents as they make a lot of international calls (and the occasional internet use). Unfortunately I have had no choice but to delay that idea until I can solve my own problems, since there is an initial investment involved with purchasing good VoIP compatible hardwares. When my friends inquire from me, I always praise the performance of the internet connection but stop short in recommending a full migration to Fusion. My biggest problem now however is facing the continual complaints from my partner whenever she gets disconnected in her calls. She's the one in charge of the telecommunication bills and I've been doing my best to buy time to troubleshoot these problems. Unfortunately it has been quite a while since our problem was first reported and I fear her patience is running out :-S
My impression of our Xnet forum support team has been fantastic, I have good faith that with your expertise we can try out different configurations and solve those issues speedily.
FYI, I will post my attempted log of call disconnections / termination in my next post: