My NZ university has decided to migrate student email services to Google Mail. I received the following email advising me, amongst other things, on how to transfer my contacts from Outlook (albeit WebAccess) to Gmail. This is, IMHO, priceless! Welcome to the 21st century! Not sure if I would put my name to this email if I was the System Administrator.
This is a courtesy email to let you know that your account will be
migrated to Gmail this Friday evening.
There are a few things that you need to know about this process:
* Your contacts will not be migrated.
If you want to transfer these to Gmail you have to do it manually.
You do this by printing them out or writing them down, then manually
typing them into the contacts list inside your student Gmail account.
This is an technical limitation of the migration system
* All of the email in your current exchange mailbox will be migrated to
Gmail, except for email contained in the following folders:
Folders that will not be migrated:
* Public Folders
* Junk E-mail
* Deleted Items
* If there is any email that you do not want to be migrated, delete it
before this Friday, 5pm.
* Any email that was in a folder prior to it being migrated to Gmail
will have the folder name added to it as a label once it has been
migrated to Gmail.
* All email that has been migrated will have a "migrated" label added to
it in Gmail.
For information on labels see here:
For more information, see this link:
If you have any further questions, here are the contact details for the
ITS System Administrator,
University of XXXXXXX