However, ever since that time the compass has been out-to-lunch, traumatised (I assume) by the proximity of such a strong magnetic field. What I am wondering is whether it is a permanent condition or whether there is something I can do to degauss the phone without destroying the compass (or the the phone) completely? I tried removing the battery and re-installing it, no change. Is there a chance the battery has been magnetised?
Any assistance in resolving this would be appreciated. I also hope this may warn other smartphone owners with compass' installed.
EDIT: Mods please move this to the 'Mobile Handsets' thread, where I thought I had put it.