I've got a FritzBox on ADSL, and quickly running out of LAN ports. So I figured I could use an ancient Netgear WNR614 router as a switch to connect all the devices in the entertainment cabinet.
So I followed the following steps:
1) Wiped the dust off the Netgear router, and got rid of the ants that seemed to have built a nest inside. No, really.
2) Turned off Wireless AP, DHCP and the firewall on the Netgear
3) Connected one of the FritzBox LAN ports to the Netgear WAN
4) Hung 4 devices off the the Netgear LAN ports
Problem is - it works! I mean it's a good problem to have, but every guide I read states that I need to use one of the Netgear LAN ports (not the WAN port) to connect to the first router.
So I guess the questions are:
1) If my Netgear isn't set up as a switch in this configuration, what exactly does it act as?
2) Why does it work and what are the downsides of this setup?
Any ideas anyone?