recently moved to new rental
I'm using 1 of the bedrooms as a study that has all the desktops, servers, VDSL, etc.
Almost everything else (gaming, kodi/plex/Netflix devices) - all wired to a switch in the lounge, with the exception of a Roku in the bedroom.
I also have a Ubiquiti edgerouter poe-5 and a unifi AC Pro yet to configure/deploy as well as a few vlan capable switches (HP/dlink).
At the moment I have a cable running from the study down the hall into the lounge (switch-to-switch) and need to make this cable free.
Given its a rental property I cant do hard wiring so I'm left with wifi or powerline.
- would powerline be better than getting another Ubiquiti ac pro as an AP connected to the lounge switch.
- can powerline devices "handle" VLAN's - I normally have port based VLANs for home-devices/SWMBO-work/Mine-work/lab/testing
- current internet is VDSL in the study but when fibre is installed it will be in the lounge so will need VLANs back to the study for segregation over powerline if possible (eg ONT-edgerouter[VLANs]-Powerline-Switch[VLANs])
- If I introduce a 3rd power line device (rather than point to point) to the bedroom would it screw up the VLAN capabilities (or would I just need a simple VLAN capable switch)
- Out of the two accessible powerline brands in NZ do GZers have a preference for TP-Link or DLink?