What I'm wondering is if the following is kind of possible and if anyone else has had experience with the arrangement and how smooth it is:
- Cut out the Pocket-WiFi completely, move all the 3G data onto Nexus 4 (I'd likely save a bit of money this way with the current pack deals these days).
- Setup the Android Hotspot feature with an appropriate SSID/key/WPA2 so my non-3G devices can connect when out & about via my N4 instead of the PWiFi
- Additionally connect to (lets say) Telecom Free WiFi on both devices.
Now if I understand correctly, the general rules of discovery should still apply, as the Telecom connection becomes known and good enough to attempt a connection to, I'd assume the following would happen:
- N4 drops 3G/Hotspot
- N4 attempts connection
- N4 connects to TFW, goes about happy
- other devices lose association with HotspotConn, but notice TFW, connect to that instead
- somewhat seemless transition.
As long as I'm not streaming a movie from Quickflix I should be kind of good right? And the hotspot feature does work like that, i.e. it doesn't prevent the phone's known network search right?