I'm helping someone out with their 32 bit Windows 7 laptop.
They complained that it was locking up a bit, I haven't witnessed this myself. So far, I've
1) applied 6 years of windows updates
2) upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 4GB (maximum possible on the hardware and naturally the OS)
3) ran full system file check. Came back that everything is fine
4) changed the user accounts to local ones and created an administrator account. Pointed the DNS to Cisco (formerly OpenDNS)
5) There are about half a dozen anti-malware applications installed, some start at windows start up and others don't.
So I'd like to strip it back to just one anti-malware application, as I've heard that having more than one can be problematic in terms of protection and also performance.
What recommendations do you have? Free and paid.
I've advised the owner that Windows 7 won't be supported from January 2020 onwards and Windows 10 is $200. My recommendation was to sell the laptop and buy a new one, but she didn't want to do that.