Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.

34 posts


Topic # 229055 5-Feb-2018 15:46
Send private message quote this post



We've got the Chorus guys laying fibre in our street in Thames in the next couple of weeks.  I've currently got a structured home network (cat5e) throughout the house with the distribution point being in a cupboard under some internal stairs.  The location of the cupboard means that it would be difficult to get any new cable in there from outside.  Internal room, two story house, concrete floor.  I wish I'd put in some PVC piping for a cable duct when the slab was poured.


With fibre, what happens?  Is the cable from the ONT on the external wall to the modem in the cupboard a fibre cable?  I'm guessing it is.  If it could be cat5e I could use one of the existing runs to the outside wall (there are heaps).  


Are there any websites with information that would help?





Filter this topic showing only the reply marked as answer Create new topic
1328 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 294


  Reply # 1952062 5-Feb-2018 15:50
Send private message quote this post

it's normal ethernet from ONT to router.


I use the structured house cabling to get from ONT to router.


Works fine for internet but may not suit landline depending on your provider.

Life is too short to remove USB safely.

421 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 82


  Reply # 1952072 5-Feb-2018 16:25
One person supports this post
Send private message quote this post

Just a bit of a terminology issue here. The ETP is the box stuck to an external wall, the ONT is the “fibre modem” inside. It is fibre from your ETP to your ONT inside, then ethernet from your ONT to router as kiwifidget said.

If you can’t get fibre to under the stairs easily, the next best bet will be to install the ONT next to one of your existing ethernet jacks around the house, then patch it from there to your router.

It sounds like you have a choice of existing runs to the outside wall. Look for one where it will be easy to get the fibre from the point on the street to it, where you will be able to drill through the external cladding, and where the ONT will not be in the way. It is wall mounted and would be vulnerable to kids and knocks, etc.


403 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 122

  Reply # 1952155 5-Feb-2018 19:11
quote this post

Don't forget that the ONT needs power too.

421 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 82


  Reply # 1952203 5-Feb-2018 22:36
Send private message quote this post

Also, ideally you will want two ethernet jacks at the place you install the ONT. That will let you patch both phone and voice back to your distribution point, if you have a landline through an ISP that serves it as VOIP from the ONT (e.g. Spark).

1970 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 128


  Reply # 1955158 11-Feb-2018 13:12
Send private message quote this post

And if there is anything that needs Ethernet next to the planned ONT location, that needs to be another cable from the router (under the stairs) back to the device. There are splitters you can get that share the one Ethernet line but cut the speed on each output down to 100Mbps.

Qualified in business, certified in fibre, stuck in copper, have to keep going  ^_^

Filter this topic showing only the reply marked as answer Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

News »

Intel reimagines data centre storage with new 3D NAND SSDs
Posted 16-Feb-2018 15:21

Ground-breaking business programme begins in Hamilton
Posted 16-Feb-2018 10:18

Government to continue search for first Chief Technology Officer
Posted 12-Feb-2018 20:30

Time to take Apple’s iPad Pro seriously
Posted 12-Feb-2018 16:54

New Fujifilm X-A5 brings selfie features to mirrorless camera
Posted 9-Feb-2018 09:12

D-Link ANZ expands connected smart home with new HD Wi-Fi cameras
Posted 9-Feb-2018 09:01

Dragon Professional for Mac V6: Near perfect dictation
Posted 9-Feb-2018 08:26

OPPO announces R11s with claims to be the picture perfect smartphone
Posted 2-Feb-2018 13:28

Vocus Communications wins a place on the TaaS panel
Posted 26-Jan-2018 15:16

SwipedOn raises $1 million capital
Posted 26-Jan-2018 15:15

Slingshot offers unlimited gigabit fibre for under a ton
Posted 25-Jan-2018 13:51

Spark doubles down on wireless broadband
Posted 24-Jan-2018 15:44

New Zealand's IT industry in 2018 and beyond
Posted 22-Jan-2018 12:50

Introducing your new workplace headache: Gen Z
Posted 22-Jan-2018 12:45

Jucy set to introduce electric campervan fleet
Posted 22-Jan-2018 12:41

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.